In today’s reading there were more instructions from the Lord to Moses about offerings. Specifically:
- Procedures for the Sin Offering
- Sins Requiring a Sin Offering
- Procedures for the Guilt Offering
- Sins Requiring a Guilt Offering
- Further Instructions for the Burnt Offering
- Further Instructions for the Grain Offering
- Procedures for the Ordination Offering
- Further Instructions for the Sin Offering
The verse that stood out to me today was Leviticus 5:17 which says, “Suppose you sin by violating one of the Lord’s commands. Even if you are unaware of what you have done, you are guilty and will be punished for your sin.”
This can be seen as a very difficult. I mean, even if we don’t know what we have done, we are still guilty?? And will be punished??
And so that is why so much of this part of scripture describes the different offerings to God, including the sin offering. We must be held accountable for our actions (even when we don’t realize it) and thus an innocent animal was sacrificed to atone for our sin.
Thankfully we no longer must do this because Jesus paid the price for all the sins of humankind for all time.
Past, present and future.
Thanks be to God for His love, grace, mercy and forgiveness!
Today’s reading: Leviticus 4:1-6:30
Tomorrow’s reading: Leviticus 7:1-8:36